Started in 1911 by Sand Springs founder and philanthropist Charles Page, the Sand Springs Railway was one of three passenger rail services operating in Tulsa since its introduction in 1903.
The Sand Springs Railway was the first and only interurban rail to connect the newly incorporated town of Sand Springs to oil-rich Tulsa. It quickly became one of the most popular lines in Tulsa and was the only railway providing service along Greenwood Avenue.
Dangers of the 24-hour interurban line included vehicle traffic, weather — especially lightning — loose livestock and unruly customers along the extended ride.
In 1955, after 44 years, the Sand Springs Railway discontinued its less popular passenger service in favor of the more profitable freight service. It was the last interurban line of its time in the state of Oklahoma.