To hear the Mock brothers tell it, they weren’t saddled with the family business.
Bret and Greg Mock are the third generation carrying on the family tradition at Mock Brothers Saddlery, a sprawling retail outpost located just west of Sand Springs off the Keystone Expressway. It’s the kind of place that oozes authenticity and old-school craftsmanship that seems sorely lacking these days.
One of the first people you’re likely to meet after arriving at the Old West-themed building is Bret Mock, more the PR guy of the two brothers. He looks the part, too, with a brushy salt and pepper handlebar mustache and a stubby, unlit cigar clenched in his teeth, as he reminisces about his early years in the business.
“We pretty much grew up working in the store,” Bret says. “Dad started us out cleaning saddles.”
Back then, the store was located at the Tulsa Stockyards in Sand Springs (now the site of Yaffe Cos. scrap metal yard). Mock Brothers moved to is current location in 1976.
- Veteran services guide - Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Best Sellers: Nov. 10
- Philbrook Museum hosts 'Shadow of Time'
- 3.07: Cherokee Storyteller - Jennifer Loren
- Count Tutu on their recording process, charity and the rhythm of life
- Artists return to Blue Dome for pop-up shops
- 3.06: Representing District 73 - Regina Goodwin
- Oklahoma Best-Sellers: Nov. 3