Starting in 1903, the Tulsa Ice Co. supplied Tulsans with large blocks of ice year-round. The ice was placed inside an icebox to keep perishable foods and important medical supplies fresh.
The company offered door-to-door delivery twice a day to both private and commercial entities by fulfilling ice card requests customers placed in their windows indicating the amount needed.
As Tulsa grew, an open-air lumberyard along Cedar Street, later renamed Sixth Street, was cleared to make way for Tulsa Ice Co.’s third and most ambitious location. In 1925 construction began on what was called “one of the most modern ice plants in the United States.”
The new location at East Sixth Street and South Xanthus Avenue featured a corkboard roof, which kept the facility cold, a large loading dock that operated around the clock and easy access to freight rail lines.
By the late 1940s the once bustling business was becoming obsolete due to the advances in refrigeration systems. The building would become home to a foundry, then an auto warehouse until it eventually was vacated.
It is currently the headquarters of Selser Schaefer Architects, which oversaw renovation of the warehouse in 2012.