A Tulsan since 1902, Wallace N. Robinson transformed a livery stable into the 45-room Alcorn Hotel along Boston Avenue in 1904. He then opened the Robinson Hotel in October 1905 at 300 S. Main St.
The hotel was considered one of the largest in the southwest with the best amenities. It had 200 rooms, 23 suites and two parlor suites with a piano in each room.
Robinson’s investment to build the hotel coincided with the massive Glenn Pool oil boom. The hotel helped Tulsa become oil headquarters, despite the oil fields being miles away.
In the alcove of the building, the hotel had a palm garden where guests could lounge among plants and hear musical performances. By summer 1907 a roof garden was opened where they could enjoy theatrical performances, concerts and motion pictures until midnight.
The following year, the roof garden was replaced by a permanent fifth floor to accommodate more guests.
By 1911, Robinson felt the city had outgrown the hotel and converted the building into office space. It became home to many oil, real estate and investment companies, as well as physicians and lawyers.
The aging five-story structure at the heart of maturing downtown was demolished in 1957.