The 10-story Hotel Tulsa, once located at the northwest corner of East Third Street and South Cincinnati Avenue, was one of the largest and most luxurious hotels in Oklahoma when it opened in 1912.
The hotel was managed by Tulsa hotelier Wallace N. Robinson, who already owned the Alcorn Hotel (built in 1904) and Robinson Hotel (1905). All of Robinson’s hotels were luxurious, but affordable.
Many famed oilmen had offices in the building but hardly used them because most deals were made in the lobby. A public stenographer even assisted businessmen by drawing up contracts and notarizing documents on the spot.
By 1923, however, Robinson sold the hotel to Henry Ketchum. To signal the change in ownership, Ketchum renamed the hotel New Hotel Tulsa and added two floors, which included a ballroom and private dining rooms.
After decades of serving Tulsa, the hotel was finally shuttered by court order in 1962 for financial troubles and eventually demolished in 1973 to make way for the Tulsa Performing Arts Center.