Lending a hand

The Carnegie Library opened in 1916 at West Third Street and South Cheyenne Avenue. The building included an auditorium, an art gallery and a museum for Native American artifacts. Before it was razed in 1970, the Tulsa Tribune referred to it as “the ugly old lady.”

It was razed in 1970 and — like many early downtown structures — the building Carnegie financed is today the site of a parking lot.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.