Did you know this building was Tulsa's first city hall?
The Tulsa Municipal Building served as Tulsa’s seat of government for 52 years.
Tulsa’s Municipal Building, 124 E. Fourth St., in the 1950s
Hopkins/Courtesy Tulsa Historical Society and Museum
From the 1880s until 1917, Tulsa leaders conducted city business at various locations. But in 1915, Tulsans passed a city bond to finance construction of the Municipal Building at the corner of East Fourth Street and South Cincinnati Avenue for just that purpose.
The gray stone, four-story Neo-Classic building with fluted columns served as Tulsa’s seat of government for the next 52 years. It was vacated in 1969, when City Hall moved to the Civic Center tower, which is now the Aloft Tulsa Downtown hotel.
A few years later, Tulsa architect Joe Coleman and his firm bought the building and restored it, determined to save it from demolition. In 1975, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The building has been home to the office of Frederic Dorwart Lawyers since 1994.