Do you want to train like a Ninja Warrior?
“American Ninja Warrior” alum Venn Johns opens a new gym, featuring obstacle-style parkour and innovative movement training.
Venn Johns’ Broken Arrow center offers training and recovery services.
A professional bull rider, former mixed martial arts fighter and elite level gymnast, Venn Johns is no stranger to risk.
“If there’s a 51 percent or better chance that I’ll succeed and not hurt anyone else, I’m going to do it,” Johns says, laughing. “If it’s 49 percent or less, then I’ll wait until I can get it to 51 percent and try it.”
As a teenager, Johns read the works of motivational speaker Zig Ziglar and Maxwell Maltz’ self-help classic, “Psycho-Cybernetics.” That power of positive thinking, the mind-body connection and hard work guided him to a spot on the U.S. National Men’s Gymnastics team, a championship bull-riding title and, most recently, onto Season 9 of NBC’s “American Ninja Warrior.”
Although Johns didn’t make it to the finals last year, he was invited to return for Season 10. He competed at the City Qualifiers in Dallas in March. Until the May 30 season premiere, he’s required to keep mum about his performance, though he says he “did very well.”
Meanwhile, Johns has turned his ninja training into a business. In March, he opened a multi-purpose training facility at 11367 E. 61st St. in Broken Arrow. BA Ninja Warrior offers training in “American Ninja Warrior”-style obstacles, parkour (a movement method based on military obstacle course training) and functional movement, as well as therapies including LED LightStim, cupping, massage, compression and cryotherapy.
“How I teach and the message is the culmination of my life experience,” Johns says. “I start out with, ‘These are obstacles, just like obstacles in life. You have a mentality, and there are only two of them.’
“‘You can choose to try and figure out a way, or you can just give up before you even start.’ We’re trying to persuade kids and adults that you shouldn’t have the ‘can’t’ mentality.”