Bustling little Dawson
The town of Dawson, in what is now north Tulsa, was a thriving community founded in 1895.
An undated photo of early Dawson, Oklahoma. The former town’s approximate borders are North Yale Avenue and North Sheridan Road and East Apache and Pine streets.
Tulsa Historical Society and Museum
The town of Dawson, in what is now north Tulsa, was a thriving community founded in 1895. Its main industry was coal mining, but it also boasted a drugstore, feed store and meat market.
The two-room Dawson School, built of sandstone blocks in 1908, was the center of community activities until it closed in 1929. It was the town’s only municipal building until the firehouse was built in 1914.
Although Dawson was absorbed into the Tulsa city limits in 1948, locals still refer to the area by its original name. Dawson School remains at 2039 N. Kingston Place and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Dawson Road runs northeast from North Lewis through North Yale avenues. Dawson Park also remains inside the old Dawson town limits.