Remembering Tulsa Paper Co.
The Tulsa Paper Co. was founded by Alphonse Jochem in 1917, originally at 21 W. First St.
Float preparations are made for a 1920s parade along the east side of the Tulsa Paper Co. building, now the Henry Zarrow Center for Arts and Education at 124 E. Reconciliation Way.
composite image By Patrick McNicholas
The Tulsa Paper Co. was founded by Alphonse Jochem in 1917, originally at 21 W. First St. It later moved to a new building at 124 E. Brady St. (now called Reconciliation Way). The company supplied paper products and newsprint for a variety of newspapers, most notably the Tulsa Tribune, published only a block away from this new location.
The warehouse, owned by businessman and Sand Springs founder Charles Page, was conveniently located near the tracks of the Sand Springs Railway, which Page also founded.
Between the 1930s and ’60s, the Paper Co. twice expanded its operations; in 1958 a new warehouse was added to span the entire block to Boston Avenue. The Tulsa Paper Co. was eventually sold in 1980 to the Mead Corp., which moved its operations to southwest Tulsa. Shortly after, the building became the Mathews Automotive Warehouse.
In 2007 the George Kaiser Family Foundation purchased the building and transformed it into what is now the Woody Guthrie Center, 108 Contemporary art gallery and the Henry Zarrow Center for Arts and Education. The National Park Service of the U.S. Department of the Interior deemed the building a “certified historic structure” in 2010.