The many lives of Boulder on the Park
First it was a school, then a radio station. Now, the historic 1923 building is home to an architecture firm.
KTUL was formerly located at 1850 S. Boulder Ave., shown in the 1939 black-and-white image used here.
Patrick McNicholas; historic image: courtesy beryl ford collection/rotary club of tulsa, tulsa city-county library and tulsa historical society
Completed in 1923 as Holland Hall college preparatory school, the three-story brick building at 1850 S. Boulder Ave. held nine classrooms, an auditorium, laboratory, a shop, gymnasium and faculty offices. Before long the school outgrew the building and relocated in 1932.
By 1946 the property owners, along with KTUL Radio, then a CBS affiliate, agreed on drastic alterations to the interior and exterior of the building, particularly the entrance. These improvements reclassified the architectural style from Commercial to “Art Moderne” with Streamline characteristics.
The first broadcasts began in 1947. “Boulder on the Park” was coined on-air due to the station’s location across from Boulder Park, now Veterans Park. Even with its additions to the building, KTUL Radio moved to its current location on Lookout Mountain in west Tulsa in 1955 in pursuit of television.
This period of significance in communications as well as architecture gained the building a listing on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003. Architectural firm the McIntosh Group now offices there.