3 cool spots to find art after dark in Tulsa
Skip the dinner-and-a-movie routine — your next date night could feature live, local art events.
Instead of a typical dinner and a movie, take your Friday nights to the next level with three opportunities to enjoy Tulsa’s art offerings. From local works of art in progress to a behind-the-scenes look at a museum, there’s something for everyone.
Tulsa Arts District
Now in its 10th year, the First Friday Art Crawl brings 3,000 Tulsans together at galleries, studios and museums. Guests can get an inside look at the artist’s process through The Refinery, which houses the Tulsa Artist Fellowship studios.
“The guest may see a work-in-progress in the studio one month, then see its final form displayed in a gallery the next month,” says Abby Mashunkashey, director of communications for TAF. “This allows for a multi-layered conversation to take place — both with the artists and with oneself.”
6-9 p.m., Jan. 5, and the first Friday of each month
Most Tulsa Arts District galleries and museums offer free First Friday admission; visit thetulsaartsdistrict.org for a list of participants.
Philbrook Museum of Art
Imagine unwinding after a long day with a starlit view of the Philbrook gardens. Communications Manager Jeff Martin says the museum is striving to make its collection more accessible to those with busy, modern lifestyles by recasting itself as a Friday night destination.
Visitors can go behind the scenes with “Museum Confidential,” an innovative exhibit on display through May 6 that turns Philbrook inside out. “Museums on average only show 5 percent of their holdings,” Martin says. “Want to see the other 95 percent?”
Open 9 a.m.-9 p.m. on Fridays; check website for additional museum hours; $7, general admission; $5, seniors; $5, groups of 10 or more; free, museum members, youth 17 and younger, college students with valid ID and active-duty military members with ID
2727 S. Rockford Road | philbrook.org
Young professionals are invited to gather at Gilcrease Museum for a free after-hours networking event. The monthly meetup starts back up in February and is an opportunity to explore the museum grounds, support local artists and drink cocktails while enjoying Gilcrease’s collection.
Opening Feb. 17, Gilcrease Museum’s new exhibit is taking a behind-the-scenes look at one of America’s most famous, yet most relatable, artists: Norman Rockwell. Through the reference photos used to create his paintings, guests can get a rare glimpse of the artist’s inspiration. The exhibit is on display through June 10.
Next Gilcrease After Hours: 7-9 p.m., Feb. 23; check website for regular museum hours; $8, adults; $6, seniors, active-duty military and groups of 10 or more; $5, college students with valid ID; free, children 18 and under
1400 N. Gilcrease Museum Road | gilcrease.org