Lost Restaurants of Tulsa: Bishop’s Restaurant
One of Tulsa’s most famous historic restaurants, Bishop’s, opened in 1930.
Bishop’s: Courtesy Tulsa Historical Society and Museum
Restaurants might come and go in Tulsa, but many have made their mark on our city’s history for their food, service, owners and atmosphere. Here’s one serving of Tulsa’s gastronomic history from the book “Lost Restaurants of Tulsa.”
One of Tulsa’s most famous historic restaurants, Bishop’s, opened in 1930. It was the newest eatery from Bill Bishop and partner Harry Powers, who had run several successful “Kansas City Waffle House” restaurants in the state. It was open 24-hours-a-day and occupied two floors at 510 S. Main St. The lower floor had a large U-shaped coffee bar and a dining room, and the top floor served as an open buffeteria.
Customers included oil tycoons like Josh Cosden, William Skelly, J. Paul Getty and Harry Sinclair. Local performers camped out and drank coffee while they waited for the newspapers to hit the sidewalk so they could read the first reviews. Soldiers stationed nearby listed Bishop’s as their mailing address due to their frequent visitation. As Tulsans expanded to the suburbs in the 1960s, business waned and Bishop’s eventually closed … but the memories are still strong more than 50 years later.
510 S. Main St.