Tulsa's first theater predated statehood
Opened in 1893, the Lyric was located inside the Lynch Building at 103 S. Main St. and was both a vaudeville theater and a movie house.
The Lyric Theater ticket window in 1919. The silent Western film serial “Lightning Bryce” was showing at the time. Its 15 episodes ran from October 1919 to January 1920.
Courtesy Tulsa Historical Society and Museum
Tulsa has a long, theatrical past that began with its first theater, the Lyric. Opened in 1893, it was located inside the Lynch Building at 103 S. Main St. and was both a vaudeville theater and a movie house, according to the Tulsa Historical Society and Museum.
The Lyric sat 315 patrons until 1923, when it was renovated and expanded to 620 seats. Its neighbors included the Oaks Cafe, Tulsa Banking Co. and Tulsa Candy Co. The theater closed between 1933 and 1935.
The Lynch Building, Tulsa’s first stone structure, had its own colorful history. Before housing the Lyric, the building was home to the Lynch mercantile. The upper floor eventually served as City Hall, and the basement had an ice cream shop.
The building was razed in 1970 to make way for a multi-million-dollar urban renewal program. The Williams Cos. now offices on the site.
You might like: