Picture of health
Morningside Hospital, 1929
Morningside Hospital in 1929. The building was formerly located at East 12th Street and South Utica Avenue.
SOURCES: Tulsa City Directories, R.L. Polk and Co. (1916-1927); “First Hospitals in Tulsa” by Dr. Fred C. Clinton, “The Chronicles of Oklahoma,” 1944/photo: courtesy tulsa historical society and museum
When Tulsa was a bustling, fledgling oil boomtown in 1918 (population 78,755), one of its first hospitals was Morningside Hospital and Training School for Nurses.
Established during a nationwide influenza epidemic that killed thousands, it was founded in 1914 as Sunnyside Hospital by three sisters: Florence Rouleau, Victoria Rouleau, both nurses, and Rose Rouleau, the business manager. In 1917, Nurse Dolly McNulty purchased and renamed the facility Morningside Hospital, and its first class of nurses graduated a year later.
Morningside eventually outgrew its early location downtown and moved to a 225-bed, multi-story brick building at East 12th Street and South Utica Avenue (pictured). Reorganized when it was acquired by a group of Tulsa businessmen in 1939, it underwent another name change: Hillcrest Memorial Hospital and Nurses Training School. The hospital received its current moniker, Hillcrest Medical Center, in 1952.