Hit the road
Resources for planning a trip to Spain.
Country maps and guide:
Taste of Spain
How to create your own Spanish paella and sangria at home.
Preparation time: 60-90 minutes
- 1/2 pint of olive oil
- 10 mussels
- 10 clams
- 2 ounces boneless pork, diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 6 ounces onions, chopped fine
- 1 medium tomato, skinned, seeded and chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 32 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried cumin
- 24 ounces lobster claws
- 24 ounces rice
- 3 cups (48 fluid ounces) chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron
- 2 chorizo sausages, cooked and cut into chunks
- 10 uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 ounces peas
- 4 tablespoon capers
- Lemon wedges, to garnish
1. Scrub and debeard the mussels and clams, discarding any that don’t close when tapped sharply. Set aside.
2. Heat 1/4 cup (2 fluid ounces) of the olive oil in a skillet. Add the pork and brown all sides. Mix in the garlic, onions, tomato and bell peppers, stirring constantly until cooked. Set aside.
3. In another skillet, heat a further 1/4 cup (2 fluid ounces) olive oil and cook the chicken until browned on all sides. Season with salt, pepper, paprika, rosemary, thyme and cumin. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
4. In the same skillet, cook the lobster claws over high heat for several minutes until shells turn pink. Set the skillet aside.
5. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
6. Heat 4 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet, and sauté the rice until translucent. Pour in the chicken broth and combine well. Add the pork mixture, stirring constantly. Sprinkle in the saffron and continue to stir until well mixed. Transfer the rice into a paella pan.
7. Mix in the lobster claws, chicken, chorizo sausages, mussels, clams, shrimp, peas and capers, combining well.
8. Bake the paella, uncovered, and on the lowest oven shelf for around 25 minutes, or until all the liquid has been absorbed.
10. Discard any mussels and clams that have failed to open.
11. Serve the paella straight from the pan, garnished with lemon wedges.
Makes 4 glasses
Difficulty: Very easy
Preparation time: 10 minutes
- 3 1/4 cups (26 fluid ounces) dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Juice of 1 large orange
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 large orange, sliced thin crosswise
- 1 large lemon, sliced thin crosswise
- 2 medium peaches, peeled, pitted and cut into chunks
- 1 cup (8 fluid ounces) club soda
Combine all the ingredients except for the club soda in a large punch bowl or serving pitcher, mixing well. Refrigerate overnight. Immediately before serving, mix in the club soda for added fizz. Ladle into cups with ice cubes.